After 4 years in swabia, it was really time to get into enjoyment of homemade swabian pockets. Because swabian pockets are the most traditional dish of the swanbians. They are really everywhere, in a restaurant, a bar or even in an first rate restaurant. Sometimes classical sometimes creative. Because of that I made Flo a present of a swabian pocket course a few years ago.
The best of swabian pockets is, that you can stuff them with almost everything. So a long time ago they were a typical poor man’s food because you could have stuffed all your leftovers into it. According to legend they result from the will of the nuns to cheat on the Godfather. It was not allowed to eat meat in the lent, so they mixed the meat up with a lot of herbs, it became green and was not visible as meat anymore. To hide it finally they wrapped it into pasta dough. So the swabian pocket or „Herrgottsbscheißerle“ was born. As I didn’t tried to create some homemade swapian pockets yet, I wanted to create my first classical meat-spinach ones under Flos supervision. It’s astonoshing easy and super delicious. Just a pasta dough as you know it from a former blog post and a stuffing made from meat, saussage meat, spinach, leek and herbs – 5 minutes into boiling water and they are done. Enjoy!
Short Tipp: If you like to see what else is possible with those super delicious homemade swabian pockets, come back in a week an you’ll see a little bit of creative swabian fast food.
Recipes with Swabian Pockets:
- Pasta Dough for 2 persons
- 250g Sausage Meat
- 250g Minced Meat
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 Onion
- 1 Leek
- 150g Spinach
- 1 Bun
- Bunch Parsley
- Crunch the bun and knead it with the eggs
- Peel the onion and chopp it
- Wash the spinach and leek and chop it
- Braise the onion in some butter
- Give in spinach and leek till it deflates
- Season with salt and pepper
- Let the vegetables cool down, in the meantime knead the meat, sausage meat and bun with the egg.
- Mix in the vegetables and if its too fluid give in some breadcrumbs till it's consistency is good
- Enroll the pasta dough and place a long width on the floured worktop
- Give the stuffing in the middle lengthways
- Fold the Dough to get kind of a sausage, give some egg yolk to the edges to stick together
- Take a floured cooking spoon and partition the long sausage to nice swabian pockets
- Let the final swabian pockets simmer for about 5 minutes in some Hot Water
- Now you can serve them in a soup or slice them and give them to a pan